Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Do you agree?: Canadians don't tip enough, according to BMO Mosaik MasterCard

cbc.ca posted the results of a survey done by BMO Bank of Montreal Mosaik MasterCard about tipping etiquette. It seems that Canadians leave less than the recommended 15% to workers of food service, taxi service, and beauty salons.

-Pizza and food delivery people (40 per cent of Canadians tip under 15 per cent).

-Taxi and limo drivers (40 per cent of Canadians tip under 15 per cent).

-People who offer manicures, pedicures, facials and waxing (only 13 per cent of Canadians tip higher than 15 per cent).

-Hair stylists (12 per cent of Canadians leave nothing; 30 per cent of Canadians tip less than 15 per cent).

-Hair salon owners (54 per cent of Canadians will not tip).


I'd like to say I'm guilty. I don't tip enough, simply because I don't know how much to tip. I still don't know how to figure out 15% of something in my head. But I make sure to leave something. If I am at a restaurant and I am paying with a credit card, I'll round up the bill to the nearest 5 or ten dollars, and I always leave my hair cutter $5.00 on the debit machine. I think maybe tips will be better if they're included on the bill. I remember going to a restaurant in Toronto where the food, taxes (at that time, 15% total) and recommended tips were included on the bill. That'll prevent people from tipping too low, and discourage others from tipping too much.

What do you think?

No comments: